BREAKING NEWS New cold snap adds urgency to winter storm recovery across the South

Westmoreland

Jeannette youth football coach suspended, league rules out opposing players using racial slurs

Quincey Reese
By Quincey Reese
2 Min Read Sept. 20, 2024 | 1 year Ago
Go Ad-Free today

A Jeannette youth football coach was suspended Friday afternoon after the local league ruled out allegations of the team’s players being called racial slurs by some opposing players from Penn-Trafford during a game Sunday.

The Big East Youth Football League issued a statement to parents Friday, detailing the results of an investigation into the alleged verbal attacks. The league’s board of directors voted against the allegations. The representatives for Jeannette and Penn-Trafford were not allowed to vote.

“The findings of the (league) are that none of the allegations are true against Penn-Trafford’s coaches and players, (and) no racial slurs or expletives were confirmed as stated in the original allegations,” the league said in a statement.

Jeannette’s youth head football coach, Tim Moore, and Isaac Guest — a parent from the team who spoke with TribLive earlier this week — were suspended from the league.

“We at the (league) strive to maintain a healthy, family-friendly environment that breeds sportsmanship, ethics and integrity,” the statement read.

Moore, who pulled his players from the game Sunday, declined to comment on the suspension.

A petition against Moore’s suspension gathered nearly 80 signatures by 6:30 p.m. Friday.

Guest maintains that Penn-Trafford’s players used racial slurs against Jeannette.

“I still stand by everything,” he said. “I will always go to bat for my kids, especially on a subject like this. I will go to bat for anyone else’s kids on a subject like this.”

Guest said he does not know if his four children will continue participating in the Jeannette youth sports association following his suspension.

“I’m a single father. I’m all they got,” he said. “I’m the only one that shows up to their games, so to be banned from supporting my children, that was kind of a shot in the gut.”

The team is scheduled to play against Kiski on Saturday.

“We have a game tomorrow and nobody even knows if we have a team,” he said. “My kids are obviously let down by it, but they also understand that sometimes, you do have to take a stand for things. And if that’s what this needs to be, then that’s what this is.”

Share

Tags:

About the Writers

Quincey Reese is a TribLive reporter covering the Greensburg and Hempfield areas. She also does reporting for the Penn-Trafford Star. A Penn Township native, she joined the Trib in 2023 after working as a Jim Borden Scholarship intern at the company for two summers. She can be reached at qreese@triblive.com.

Push Notifications

Get news alerts first, right in your browser.

Enable Notifications

Content you may have missed

Enjoy TribLIVE, Uninterrupted.

Support our journalism and get an ad-free experience on all your devices.

  • TribLIVE AdFree Monthly

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Pay just $4.99 for your first month
  • TribLIVE AdFree Annually BEST VALUE

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Billed annually, $49.99 for the first year
    • Save 50% on your first year
Get Ad-Free Access Now View other subscription options