BREAKING NEWS New cold snap adds urgency to winter storm recovery across the South

Valley News Dispatch

New Kensington police charge man in hotel fight with 3 other men

Brian C. Rittmeyer
By Brian C. Rittmeyer
2 min read Dec. 18, 2020 | 5 years Ago
Go Ad-Free today

A New Kensington man was arraigned Wednesday on a felony charge of aggravated assault stemming from a fight in which two men suffered brain bleeds and one had skull fractures.

Police charged Kenneth Lorenzo Johnson Jr., 32, on Nov. 17 in connection with the fight that happened June 12 at the Quality Inn on Tarentum Bridge Road.

A search of online court records showed no charges against three other men involved in the fight, including the two alleged victims who were hurt. Police Chief Bob Deringer did not respond to requests for comment.

Police said in a criminal complaint that Johnson had been arguing with one of the men by text message between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m., who, along with two others, went to the Quality Inn, where Johnson was staying.

A witness told police Johnson threw the first punch, hitting one man once and knocking him to the ground before going after the second man, who he hit at least twice before the third man got involved.

The third man told police he did not see any weapons, but Johnson was wearing rings.

The man who police said was punched first was taken to Allegheny Valley Hospital in Harrison and then flown to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He told police that he suffered two skull fractures and two brain bleeds, according to the complaint.

That man told police he had wanted to confront Johnson, but denied going to the hotel to fight him. He told police that Johnson got aggressive and he tried to leave, but Johnson hit him one time and that was all he remembered.

The man who police said was punched second told police he was trying to get the other alleged victim into a car and break up the fight when he and Johnson started fighting. That man said he and Johnson exchanged punches before Johnson knocked him onto his side, causing him to hit his head and knocking him out for about 10 seconds, the complaint said.

Johnson did not have an attorney listed in court records.

In addition to felony aggravated assault, Johnson is also charged with simple assault. Johnson’s bond was set at $25,000 during his arraignment before District Judge Frank J. Pallone Jr. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 14.

Share

Tags:

About the Writers

Brian C. Rittmeyer, a Pittsburgh native and graduate of Penn State University's Schreyer Honors College, has been with the Trib since December 2000. He can be reached at brittmeyer@triblive.com.

Push Notifications

Get news alerts first, right in your browser.

Enable Notifications

Content you may have missed

Enjoy TribLIVE, Uninterrupted.

Support our journalism and get an ad-free experience on all your devices.

  • TribLIVE AdFree Monthly

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Pay just $4.99 for your first month
  • TribLIVE AdFree Annually BEST VALUE

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Billed annually, $49.99 for the first year
    • Save 50% on your first year
Get Ad-Free Access Now View other subscription options