BREAKING NEWS New cold snap adds urgency to winter storm recovery across the South

Valley News Dispatch

New Kensington teen seeks to move murder case to juvenile court

Rich Cholodofsky
By Rich Cholodofsky
2 Min Read Nov. 22, 2022 | 3 years Ago
Go Ad-Free today

On Monday, the lawyer for a teenager charged in connection with a fatal shooting in New Kensington asked a Westmoreland County judge to transfer the case to juvenile court.

Da’Montae Marquis Brooks, 16, of New Kensington was the last suspect to be arrested in connection with the July 3 shooting of 39-year-old Jason Raiford. Brooks was taken into custody in September at a home in Dunbar.

He is one of four teens who were charged with criminal homicide. Three adults also were charged in connection with the shooting.

Defense attorney Patrica Elliott-Rentler said Brooks, who turned 16 in September, was improperly charged as an adult. The court filing suggested Brooks was amenable to supervision and rehabilitation in a juvenile facility.

“(Brooks) … will be able to establish that by a preponderance of the evidence transfer of the instant case to juvenile court will serve the public interest,” Elliott-Rentler wrote.

Homicide and conspiracy charges in connection with Raiford’s killing also are pending against Jonathan E. Felder, 18, of Arnold; Avian Molter, 15, of Uniontown; Elijah R. Gary, 18, of New Kensington; Raquan Carpenter, 19, of Pittsburgh; Braedon Dickinson, 14, of Herminie; and Amir Kennedy, 14, of New Kensington. Police said Kennedy fired the fatal shot from a rifle.

Police said Raiford was shot 11 times. Witnesses at a preliminary hearing in August testified the shooting at the Valley Royal Court Apartments was a result of a dispute over drugs and money.

Molter, Kennedy and Dickinson also were charged as adults.

Molter previously asked that his case be transferred to juvenile court. A hearing on his request was scheduled to be heard Dec. 22.

Teens convicted in juvenile court cannot be held in custody beyond their 21st birthday. Conviction to charges of first-degree or second-degree murder as an adult in Pennsylvania can result in a life prison sentence.

“We object to decertifying all of the juveniles who are charged as adults in this case,” said a statement released Monday by District Attorney Nicole Ziccarelli.

Share

Tags:

About the Writers

Rich Cholodofsky is a TribLive reporter covering Westmoreland County government, politics and courts. He can be reached at rcholodofsky@triblive.com.

Push Notifications

Get news alerts first, right in your browser.

Enable Notifications

Content you may have missed

Enjoy TribLIVE, Uninterrupted.

Support our journalism and get an ad-free experience on all your devices.

  • TribLIVE AdFree Monthly

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Pay just $4.99 for your first month
  • TribLIVE AdFree Annually BEST VALUE

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Billed annually, $49.99 for the first year
    • Save 50% on your first year
Get Ad-Free Access Now View other subscription options